I have been teaching dogs since I was 14 years old …
Hi! My name is Judi Dowson and I started professionally teaching dogs at the young age of 14 when I got my very first dog; a Border Collie! I taught her a lot of tricks and all the neighbourhood kids wanted to know how to get their dogs to do these amazing things. I charged them 25 cents and we met in a park and together trained our dogs. These were the days when the library only had a couple of dog books and no training books to speak of; “Lassie Come Home” and “Old Yeller!” Engagement, marriage and children put a bit of a stop to dogs and dog training for a few years.
I picked it back up again in the early 1970’s when I had two German Shepherds and I attended an obedience class with them. Choke chains were the order of business in those days and when one of my dogs wouldn’t come near me, I instinctively knew that I was doing something wrong! The instructor was of no use to me, or the way I wanted my dogs trained. I was told that if I wouldn’t do as he instructed, perhaps I should leave the class. I was out of there so fast! A few years later, I was introduced to Toy Manchester Terriers and there was no way I was going to use that kind of harsh treatment. Once again, I attended an obedience class and because I was unable to find a small enough choke chain for her little neck, I was kicked out of class. I actually made one for her out of fabric, thinking it would be nicer on her. The instructor didn’t like it – probably just didn’t like my ingenuity, so once again, I left a class feeling very disillusioned.
Around that same time, a Toy Manchester Terrier breeder in the US introduced me to clicker training. She sent me a book written by Karen Pryor called “Don’t Shoot The Dog.” I went forward with what I learned and haven’t looked back since!
Dogs and training dogs are my passion! I can help it become the passion for your pet too!
Some of my credentials are as follows:
- ABCDT (ABC Dog Trainer), Specialist In behaviour Problems
- Obedience Instructor, North Cariboo BC SPCA, Prince George
- Obedience Instructor, Prince George Regional Correctional Centre/BC SPCA Partnership Program
- Canadian Kennel Club Evaluator, Canine Good Neighbor
- Platinum Member #200, International Positive Dog Trainers Assn. and BC Director
- Licensed Presenter, Be A Tree (Bite Prevention for School Children through Doggone Safe)
- Licensed Presenter, Doggone Safe for Workers
- Canada West Director, Doggone Safe
- Unit Facilitator/Evaluator, St. John Ambulance Therapy Dogs Unit #1230
- Pet First Aid Instructor, St. John Ambulance
- Evaluator, C.L.A.S.S. (Canine Life and Social Skills)